Sep 9, 2012

Nautical but nice

I've been eyeing the Sail away school dress tute off for a while, and last night I finally sat down with my just-arrived Sarah Jane Out to Sea fabric and got to work!


I didn't have any old shirts to upcycle, so I made my own shirt - using the same basic method of cutting around a tee.  I just made sure to add an extra couple of inches to the center of the front panels so that I could make a placket there.

She told me she was doing some sort of pirate dance here!  
Apparently the striped shirt is a "pirate shirt."
I also did a couple of little things differently.  I added some darts at the back of the shirt as little miss has her mother's sway back (poor thing, welcome to a lifetime of ill-fitting shirts!), and I attached the shirt bindings and skirt waistband a little differently to give a neater finish as I wasn't keen on the exposed seams.



The buttons on the skirt are some cute little metallic shank buttons that I was recently given from my Grandma's stash.  I remember fossicking through Grandma's button tin when I was my girls age.  I love that I can use these on their clothes now.

3 comments:

  1. This is fantastic!! Thanks for sharing! I hope you stop by Thursday to link up to Make It Wear It!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrea! I've just gone and added my link now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to use this tute too but haven't found a shirt to upcycle that doesn't have a pocket on it. I might have to do what you did. You did a great job; so cute!!

    ReplyDelete