Mar 9, 2011

All in a day's work

I've had the pieces for these cut out for a while now, but finally started sewing them together yesterday.  I finished them this afternoon and have to say I'm pretty happy with them.  There are a few imperfections and if I was making them again (I'm tossing up whether to make another pair in chocolate corduroy) I'd make a couple of small changes but overall I think they're great.

The pattern was design 13 - Plum cargo pants - from from the Spring issue of Ottobre Design (1/2011).  I made a couple of changes from the original pattern - like leaving off the ties on the side pockets as I thought Katherine might struggle getting them done up/undone, and I only double topstitched the seams, rather than triple (to me the photos of the originals looked a bit "messy" with so much stitching.

They are a bit too big in the waist - should have gone with my gut instinct and made that elastic shorter even though it looked too small! - but I am thinking she'll grow into them.  In the meantime they can just be worn with a belt.


This is also the first time I've done a fly front so I was super proud of myself.


She wasn't in the mood for a fashion parade today so no photos of her wearing them unfortunately!  Maybe next time!

3 comments:

  1. They are fantastic - well done on the fly front

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I wouldn't even attempt to sew those. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'd definitely say it's the most structured thing I've made so far, but they weren't very difficult... just involved!

    ReplyDelete